With safety perspective, several steps have been taken by the US Open organizers. Several items have been prohibited inside the centre. In addition, several other directions are also issued.
• Spectators are advised to arrive early. It will be helpful in avoiding delays.
• All spectators will go through a screening process. Only then, they will be allowed to pass through the gates.
• No person will be allowed to carry more than one bag inside the tennis centre.
• The bag should be single compartment. Its size should not be more than 12"W x 12"H x 16"L.
• If you carry more than one bag, you must deposit these at the bag storage facility outside the ground.
Articles prohibited inside the USTA Billie Jean King Tennis Centre are all knapsacks and backpacks, tennis racquets, bicycles; scooters of any type; in-line skates; roller skates; skateboards, containers, glass bottles or cans, al kinds of sealed packages, briefcases, aerosol cans or noisemaking devices, food (allowed in limited quantities for medical, dietary or infant purposes), weapons, pets (save service animals), alcoholic beverages, commercial video cameras or recording devices, computers or laptops, flags, banners or signs and laser pointing devices.
Apart from these items, all other items considered unlawful or dangerous by the USTA personnel will also be barred.
Here is information regarding safety in US Open 2008. Several steps have been taken n US Open tennis event to ensure safety.