Since its start in 1881, the US Open has been held on various venues like Philadelphia Club, West Side Tennis Club and USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Here is a brief account of these grounds.
West Side Tennis Club
West Side Tennis Club, located in the suburbs of New York, hosted the United States Open Tennis Championships from 1915 until 1977. Success of the US Tennis Championships (erstwhile name of US Open) led to the construction of a 14,000-seat horseshoe-shaped stadium. During West Side days, the U.S. Open was often referred to simply as 'Forest Hills'. US Open at the West Side saw some important changes like the introduction of seedings in 1927, equal prize money for men and women in 1973, night play in 1975, and tiebreakers in 1970.
Philadelphia Club has played an important role in the development of tennis in the United States. The Club was among the founding members of the American Lawn Tennis Association in 1881. National Women's Tennis Championship was inaugurated in the club in 1887. The event was held here until, in 1921, the championship was moved to Forest Hills, New York.
USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, located at Flushing, New York, has hosted US Open tennis tournament many a time. One of the largest tennis centres in the world, it has 22 courts inside the facility and 11 more in the adjoining park. All the courts have been equipped with the DecoTurf cushioned acrylic surface. The venue was first known as the USTA National Tennis Center. It was rechristened as the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, in the presence of tennis greats such as Martina Navratilova, Venus Williams, Chris Evert, John McEnroe, and Jimmy Connors. When the US Open is not being played, the centre is open to general public for a fee.
Check out information on venues & grounds for US Open Grand Slam Tennis Championship