Sporting99
 
 
Tennis Wimbledon
Tennis
Wimbledon Championship trophy is not only a proud possession, but also a beautiful keepsake! Explore more on Wimbledon Tournament trophies.

Wimbledon Trophy

Wimbledon is the oldest and most prestigious professional tennis tournament of the world. It is one of the four grand slam championships and the only one of them played on the grass courts. Since its first tournament, the championship has been held at the All England Club, in the London suburb of Wimbledon, after which the trophy is named. It was started in 1877, by the All England Lawn Tennis and The Croquet Club, to raise money for a new roller, with merely 22 male participants. Today, the championship has become a craze amongst the tennis lovers. It is estimated that now, it has an annual attendances of over 450,000 people. The championship begins in late June and goes on till early July. It consists of five major, four junior and four invitational events.

Wimbledon Championship Trophy
Wimbledon began as a Men's Single tennis tournament in the year 1877. It was only seven years later that in 1884, the Ladies singles and Men's doubles event began. Now Wimbledon Tennis Championship Trophy has five major, four junior and four invitational categories. The major events are namely Gentlemen's Singles, Ladies' Singles, Gentlemen's Doubles, Ladies' Doubles and Mixed Doubles. The four junior events also comprise of the same categories of play except for the event of mixed doubles. The Wimbledon Trophy is the winner's victory symbol of the tournament. While the Men win a cup, the Women win a dish. These trophies are put on display, months after the Championship.

Wimbledon Tournament Trophies

Gentlemen's Singles Trophy
Men Single's trophy is presented to the winner of Gentlemen's Singles Championship. It is a silver gilt cup, with cover. It is 18 inches in size and has a diameter of 7 inches. It consists of couple of handles on all the sides and is settled on a raised foot. It is golden in color and adorned with borders and floral work and oval style moldings. The head of the Cup is given a look of a pineapple on the top. The head is also covered with a helmet that is present under both the handles. The proud words 'The All England Lawn Tennis Club Single Handed Championship of the World' are engraved on the trophy. However since 1949, players have been given a miniature replica of the original trophy.

Ladies' Singles Trophy
The Wimbledon trophy for the Ladies Single Championship is a silver tray. It is also known as 'Rosewater Dish' or 'Venus Rosewater Dish'. This silver shield or tray is 18 inches in diameter and is made of silver, which is partly gilded. The tray is adorned with intricate motifs and beautiful patterns, some of them having a mythological pattern. In the centre, there is an extremely beautiful motif, which stands circumferenced by four circles, the last being the rim of the trophy. Just like with the Men's Trophy, since 1949, the women champions have received a miniature replica of the actual trophy.

Gentlemen's Doubles Trophy
In the Wimbledon Gentlemen's Double Championship trophy, a silver cup is presented to the Gentlemen Pair who win the final match of the tournament, in the double's category. Sponsored by the Oxford University since 1884, this silver trophy is also gilded. It is open from the top like an open oval jar. The trophy is adorned by beautiful motifs inside as well as outside. Even this trophy is settled on a raised platform and gives a very royal look.

Ladies' Doubles Trophy
The Wimbledon Trophy for the Ladies' Doubles Championship is a silver cup. It is a simple cup, with oval style moldings and a cover on the top. It has handles on both the sides and it is settled on a raised platform. This cup is known as 'The Duchess of Kent Challenge Cup', and was presented by Princess of Marina, who was the President of the All England Club in 1949.

Mixed Doubles Trophy
The Mixed Doubles Trophy is given to the pair of mixed doubles (man and woman) that wins the Championship. It is a silver-colored Wimbledon Trophy and was gifted to the All England Club by the family of the late S.H. Smith, who was the winner of this title in 1902 and again in 1906.